TRICHOTILLOMANIA - THE BUNNY TAYLOR MEMOIRS

The true story of an abusive childhood that led to the onset and manisfestaion of trichotillomania.

Friday 24 July 2009

The Safe Room

My therapist unlocks a door to a bright airy room. This is to be my therapy room and, to prevent me from having to wait in the corridor, will be unlocked ready for me every week .At the far end of the room there are two soft chairs and a large plant in front of a large window which looks out into a private garden. There is also a large table and two hard backed chairs and it is here that we sit. On the table are many art tools which include pastels, paints, crayons, pencils, charcoals, clay, paint brushes, water colours and oils. There is also a huge stack of paper.
As this is my first art therapy session half the time is taken up with administration. My therapist explains to me how long my session will run to each week (one hour) and that my therapy will always be held on a Wednesday at 9am. I also sign some documents relating to the art work that I will be doing. The documents explain that all my art work belongs to me, but during my treatment it must remain at the day hospital where it will be kept secure. When my treatment is over, and if I so wish, I may take the artwork home with me.
Then we start talking. My therapist tells me that she appreciates that I may find it difficult to talk to her as she is a stranger and there is no element of trust established between us yet. She tells me that I should think of the room as a safe place, my safe place where I can say anything about absolutely anything, where I can express myself freely.
I don’t know where to start. My therapist replies that it does not matter where I start and this encourages me. I tell her that I hate having trichotillomania and I hate the other self harming that I do to myself, both of which feel stronger than me as they have such a devastating hold over me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Personal blogs & blog posts